The Monastery of Panagia Evangelistria is located about 5 km north of Skiathos Town. Reachable by car or on foot (1 hour) from the capital of the island, this historical monastery is built on the slopes of a mountainside and it is surrounded by lush greenery. The Monastery of Evangelistria is among the most important religious centers in the Sporades and certainly the most important in Skiathos.
Its construction began in 1794 and was completed in 1806. During the years of the Greek Revolution (1820), this monastery played an important role giving shelter to the fighters and refugees and offering money for the economic support of the Revolution. In September of 1807, the first Greek flag (with the white cross on blue background) was weaved and blessed.