Lighthouse Akrotiri ( Santorini ) is located at the axis of the sea route of Piraeus – Alexandria and bears a lighthouse which is one of the best of Greek network. Located 18 kilometers from Fira at an altitude of 58 meters, the lighthouse was built in 1892 during the Ottoman reign by the French company La Société Collas et Michel. It initially operated with oil and its beam reach was 23 nautical miles. It was renovated in 1925. Its operation was suspended during World War II and began again in 1945. During this time it emitted a flash every 30 seconds. In 1983 it was adapted to operate electrically and in 1988 it became fully automated and has since continued to exude the maximum luminescence. Today its beam reach is 24 nautical miles.